Thakurgaon (Bengali: ঠাকুরগাঁও জেলা, Thakurgaon Jela also Thakurgaon Zila) is a district in the north-western side of Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division and borders India to the west. It was established as a mahakuma in 1860 consisting of 6 thanas named Thakurgaon Sadar, Baliadangi, Pirganj, Ranishankail, Haripur, and Ruhia. In 1947, it was re-established as a mahakuma including 3 thanas of Jalpaiguri and a thana of kochbihar of India. In 1981, Atoari was included in the new Panchagarh district and the area was shrunk in just 5 thanas. It was then established as a district on 1 February 1984.